Entries in DIY (39)
I can no longer claim this to be the bathroom floor project, although that is what I am in the middle of right now (picking up the tile this morning!).
The floors have been primed & self leveled, which was a pretty easy process (thank goodness!). I bought Mapei Self Leveling Compound & mixed half of the 50 pound bag with 12 cups of clean, room temperature water. You'll need some sort of mixing attachment for your drill - I used a paint mixer because this material is fairly runny & easy to get through.
Once everything was mixed, I started pouring out the concrete mixture in the back corner of the bathroom. I used a trowel to move it around to cover all of the floor.
This stuff is pretty amazing - as it is pushed around, it settles into all of the mess of the floor & levels itself out, leaving you a flat surface that is ready to accept stone, tile, hardwood, etc.
There is one little area where we didn't get all of the old mortar. It looks like a fossil. Sanding it down is another step we're going to have to take before laying the marble. I was lazy & just hoped that it would fill in around the trowel marks. It didn't. Lesson learned folks! Make sure all of the old mortar is gone before pouring the underlayment.
I walked on it this morning, so it is dry and ready to go. We are leaving in a few minutes to pick up the tile (can't wait to show you!) and I am going to get started today!
Well, I am currently drying out concrete with a hairdryer...so obviously things aren't going as swimmingly as they did in my pre-sledgehammer mind.
What was originally a rather inexpensive, new floor-only project has turned into a new floor, new sink, new toilet, new medicine cabinet/mirror project, but isn't that how it always goes?
Here is my new inspiration image:
I want to snap this up thisinstant but there's a little thing like the $1,695 price tag that is standing in my way. I've been searching for something similar for a reasonable price and am coming up empty handed (even with a white ceramic sink top).
Has anyone seen something similar or have any other suggestions? Right now, we still have the sink top attached to the wall (we took the sledgehammer to the base of the pedestal - oops!), and I would love to figure out how to DIY this.
You are all so creative, and I am stuck! Any suggestions?
I've been wanting to revamp our guest bath for awhile now, but with a busy summer I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Yesterday, it was really bothering me so I mentioned to my husband that I wanted to put in a new tile floor - namely, a new Carrara marble tile floor.
He said "okay".
I said "today".
He came back with a sledgehammer and chisel and I said "yay"! I tend to get like this. I'll mull over something for ages and when I finally decide what to do/that I want to do it...I want it done, like, 15 minutes ago. So, thank you to my most agreeable husband.
The old floors were a faux-marble-esque ceramic tile with gray and pink "veining".
That grout! Ugh. Why didn't I do this years ago?
So, we got down to business. He starting hammering away while I was in charge of clean up as we went along.
Derby was a huge help :)
We went down to the concrete subfloor. I filled in some of the larger holes with a thin-set mortar that we had on hand.
We then sealed it with a self-leveling concrete primer & will self-level it tonight. Little surprises always pop-up when doing home renovations, but I still groaned when the sink starting to leak. I want this project done by the end of the week, so wish us luck!!
I redid this bathroom 4 or 5 years ago when I was loving chocolate brown/light blue/ivory color combination (which I still love, by the way), so I am ready for something new. Most of the walls in our house are some shade of gray and while I kind of wish I could commit to doing something completely different in here, I am pretty sure we're going to go gray in here as well. BUT! It will be in a fun, new way (stripes, anyone?).
Also known as: Why didn't I do this a year ago?
For the past year, the formal group picture from our wedding has looked like this:
Let's ignore the fact that this is a rather boring, unattractive frame & pretend that it is just sleek/modern/no-frills. Either way, the picture has never fit in the frame. The picture itself is an odd size; long & squat, hence the white band at the top & bottom of the frame. I was so sick of looking at it that I decided to make my own "mat" (much less involved than my last foray into custom mat-cutting).
As you can see, navy was one of our wedding colors & continues to be one of my favorite colors. The cardstock is actually a leftover sample from our DIY wedding invitations, which I thought was an appropriate use for this project.
I marked off where to cut so that the navy would cover the white bands, then cut it using an xacto knife & metal straight edge.
I told you this was laughable easy! I then taped the picture in place on the back of the cardstock & placed it back in the frame.
Much better! I can now stand to look at this frame :)